Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Freedom of Speech: There is No Such Thing

Our first amendment right in the United States Constitution, otherwise known as the Bill of Rights State, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances." Um... is it me or did the United States just wipe their ass with this portion of this bill of rights? 
Just Sayin...

So I'm reading the other day and I was just outraged by this story I was reading. This Connecticut Superintendent was asked to resign for a couple of Facebook statuses. What's even worse is that these statuses weren't even vulgar nor offensive nor near anything of that sort. Although he may have said some things that were worth questioning, in general he (in my opinion) shouldn't have gotten fired over 30 words, that were mere Facebook statuses. So is this what our rights have turned into? Whatever happened to the freedom of speech. Whatever happened to saying anything you want, anytime you want without conviction of the law. I understand that there are certain things you must not say, (ex. Terrorist threats, anything malignant towards another individual, things that may stir up trouble for individuals etc.) 
I think that something needs to been done about this, I'm not saying that its OK to sayeverything but I definitely think that a person's livelihood should be affected by their individuality or personality.
Facebook and Twitter are social networks where people have the opportunities to showcase their individuality therefore why should people be punished for saying what's on their mind? Once again I note, that YOU SHOULD NEVER SAY NOR MAKE OUTLANDISH STATEMENTS, but if you have an opinion on something or you just feel like venting what's the problem? Maybe its just me but I see so major problems don the road for us if this keeps up. You watch what you say now but pretty soon you will not be able to have ANY opinion on any matters. Of course I'm going to have some of you out there saying, "Well Royal, you shouldn't even write those things on those social networks." And I will tell you people, that you're wrong. Human nature allows us to have feelings and therefore we want to express those feelings no matter what outlet we use as an expression. If you thought the creation of social networks would not be used to show personal expression, you are sadly mistaken. Maybe I'm wrong but I think that we should do something about it before more of our rights are taken away. "They're" already trying to take away our  Second Amendment Rights don't let them take something more important away, our VOICE.


So ladies and gents, I'm I buggin out ? Or do you understand where I'm coming from?! Let me hear you out !!! Tell me your thoughts !!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm gonna have to disagree with this one shawty. Although it is creepy and annoying that we have to censor ourselves over social networks because of potential employers/colleges/grad programs, etc. We still have the option to say whatever (nearly whatever) we want. We just may not get that job/into that med school, etc. The situation with the superintendent is tricky because i think that is considered a government job, but for the most part we can say whatever we want. Now, because it is a government job (If it is) then I'd have to agree and say that his constitutional rights were violated. But as far as the rest of us go, we can technically still say whatever we want. It just sucks that there is no safe space in which we can freely express ourselves without being worried about who will see it.

    ReplyDelete